[racket-dev] emscripten? (was: Re: Using clang to Build Racket on Mac OS X)

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed May 9 21:22:39 EDT 2012

Two hours ago, John Clements wrote:

> On May 9, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Michael W wrote:
> > Of course this is much more work than just getting racket to build
> > with Clang, but I wonder what the implications of a successful
> > port could be.
>
> I believe this would be hard, and I know that others have asked
> about this part before (I think Eli's response compared it to
> "Racket swallowing gcc" when compared to using Gnu lightning).

Not just asked -- we had an experiment with an LLVM-based assembly
language.  In the end, the main problem it had was indeed that to use
this for JIT, LLVM would need to be completely included -- and that's
a huge overhead.  (The LLVM library was a little bigger than the
mzscheme excutable at the time, IIRC.)