[racket-dev] emscripten? (was: Re: Using clang to Build Racket on Mac OS X)

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Wed May 9 19:05:10 EDT 2012

On May 9, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Michael W wrote:

> That's an interesting thought.
>
> Racket currently uses GNU Lightning as its JIT, correct? What if
> it used LLVM instead?
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLVM#Description
>
> Of course this is much more work than just getting racket to
> build with Clang, but I wonder what the implications of a
> successful port could be.

I believe this would be hard, and I know that others have asked about this part before (I think Eli's response compared it to "Racket swallowing gcc" when compared to using Gnu lightning).

However, running racket under Emscripten might potentially be possible without the JIT entirely. Anyhow, it looks like Tony Garnock-Jones' response contains the current "state of the art".

John