[racket-dev] Oversight in type for path-string?

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Sat Mar 24 14:24:58 EDT 2012

On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> IMO defining `Path-String' in a way that doesn't correspond to
> `path-string?' is not a good idea.  I'd prefer it if the name was
> changed or if the type changes to accurately reflect the predicate.

I this this is a place where we just have to accept that types are
less precise than runtime checks.  The invariant that the string can't
contain #\null and that the path must be for the current system is
like the invariant that you can't divide by zero.  It's not something
we can realistically express in the type, and given that `Path-String'
is defined to be (U Path String), and is the type used for functions
that consume and produce `path-string?' values, I think `Path-String'
is the right name.

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu