[racket-dev] drRacket Close/Close tab

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 2 08:33:15 EDT 2011

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 2:50 AM, Marijn <hkBst at gentoo.org> wrote:

> Hi Robby,
>
> On 09/01/11 17:55, Robby Findler wrote:
>> Okay, thanks everyone for the comments. Generally speaking, I
>> dread keybinding-based discussions because it is impossible to make
>> everyone happy (and usually only the unhappy people speak up :).
>
> It will probably get really quiet now then ;P.

Nice! :)

But to you unhappy folks: now is the time to speak up! It is better to
make the changes together so I only get yelled at once. :)

>> Still, I think you folks are right that changes need to happen.
>> I've looked over various apps and the guidelines and whatnot and
>> (yep, I buy the argument that 'Terminal and Safari don't follow the
>> HIG so why should we?'.) so here's the changes I've just pushed.
>>
>> Mac OS X & Windows :
>>
>> - renamed "Close" to "Close Window" (but kept the keybinding
>> switchero-ness as is)
>>
>> Gtk:
>>
>> - changed the menus so there is only one "Close" menu (no "Close
>> Tab" or "Close Window"); if there are multiple tabs, it closes the
>> tab otherwise it closes the window. To close the window in the
>> multiple tabs case, you have to use the close box (or maybe alt-f4
>> if the OS-level keybindings map it to closing the window).
>
> I think the distinction (between platforms) in the menu is mostly
> academic (both are good choices) and should IMHO be eliminated since
> it can only create confusion when people on different platforms talk
> to each other.

Well, that's something that you'll have to talk to Apple and Gnome
about, not us. :)

> But anyway, the test for whether the platform is Gtk
> seems to be faulty, because now I'm seeing the ``Windows/OS X''-style
> menu. The good news is that it's now working as you describe.

Can you tell me the result of evaluating

  (system-type)

on your machine?

>> All platforms:
>>
>> - changed "New Tab" to <menukey>-t
>>
>> - changed "Run" to <menukey>-r
>
> These are working.
>
>> - changed "Replace" to <menukey>-shift-f
>
> This also seems to be working.
>
> I think Find&Replace could be so much more useful though: Ctrl-F
> <find-search-term-as-you-type> instead of Ctrl-F <search-term> Ctrl-G,

I'll note two things here: it does search as you type (and it circles
the search results); it just does not jump around as you type. I find
this to be easier to use as it helps me navigate more effectively
through the buffer. But I realize others don't like this (especially
those coming from Emacs) so there is an attempt to do things in a more
Emacs-y way that you can get to by chosing the "search with anchors"
(or something like that) preference.

> identifier renaming (ignore strings, symbols, partial matches),
> regular expression replacements, identifier regular expression
> renaming (lifts restriction on partial matches, by using wildcards to
> extend to full match). I'm sure other people have more/better ideas.

There's also the online check syntax which does actual identifier
renaming, not a heuristic one.

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.