[racket-dev] drRacket Close/Close tab

From: Marijn (hkBst at gentoo.org)
Date: Fri Sep 2 03:50:14 EDT 2011

Hi Robby,

On 09/01/11 17:55, Robby Findler wrote:
> Okay, thanks everyone for the comments. Generally speaking, I
> dread keybinding-based discussions because it is impossible to make
> everyone happy (and usually only the unhappy people speak up :).

It will probably get really quiet now then ;P.

> Still, I think you folks are right that changes need to happen.
> I've looked over various apps and the guidelines and whatnot and
> (yep, I buy the argument that 'Terminal and Safari don't follow the
> HIG so why should we?'.) so here's the changes I've just pushed.
>
> Mac OS X & Windows :
>
> - renamed "Close" to "Close Window" (but kept the keybinding
> switchero-ness as is)
>
> Gtk:
>
> - changed the menus so there is only one "Close" menu (no "Close
> Tab" or "Close Window"); if there are multiple tabs, it closes the
> tab otherwise it closes the window. To close the window in the
> multiple tabs case, you have to use the close box (or maybe alt-f4
> if the OS-level keybindings map it to closing the window).

I think the distinction (between platforms) in the menu is mostly
academic (both are good choices) and should IMHO be eliminated since
it can only create confusion when people on different platforms talk
to each other. But anyway, the test for whether the platform is Gtk
seems to be faulty, because now I'm seeing the ``Windows/OS X''-style
menu. The good news is that it's now working as you describe.

> All platforms:
>
> - changed "New Tab" to <menukey>-t
>
> - changed "Run" to <menukey>-r

These are working.

> - changed "Replace" to <menukey>-shift-f

This also seems to be working.

I think Find&Replace could be so much more useful though: Ctrl-F
<find-search-term-as-you-type> instead of Ctrl-F <search-term> Ctrl-G,
identifier renaming (ignore strings, symbols, partial matches),
regular expression replacements, identifier regular expression
renaming (lifts restriction on partial matches, by using wildcards to
extend to full match). I'm sure other people have more/better ideas.

> Please let me know if you spot any problems.

No problems, just work in progress (as is all software) ;P
Thanks for working on this!

Marijn

Posted on the dev mailing list.