[racket-dev] guidelines on error messages -- please send feedback

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 3 16:17:25 EDT 2011

Thanks for this document. For my own teachpacks,
I tried to make the error messages consistent by
creating all error messages in one file (htdp/error).
But you're also reducing their complexity and this
is even more important. The key is that students
must understand the problem.

A couple of comments:

1. We need to create a glossary for all terms used
in error message and link them to the teaching languages.

2. You rule out some words that are consistently used
in HtDP. I don't doubt that you have a rationale based
on studies of students and I not interested in bringing
these words back. But teachers may use them, and students
may read them. "Constructor" and "selector" and "predicate"
come to mind.

So:

1a. We may wish to supplement the entries with synonyms
that connect the words to equivalent words in HtDP.

3. The guidelines should go into the docs as a
scribble document.

We should supplement them with a document on
how to write teachpack. For now, this document could
just point forward to your document.

They should also be linked to from a file in the lang/
documentation.

Let me know when it's settled. I'd be happy to edit the
draft documents and I'll tackle the teachpack error messages
then.

-- Matthias