[racket-dev] guidelines on error messages -- please send feedback

From: Shriram Krishnamurthi (sk at cs.brown.edu)
Date: Fri Jun 3 20:14:00 EDT 2011

Kathi is understating it.  There are TWO notions of "variable".  In
algebra, in f(x) = x^2, x is called a "variable" because it varies
across invocations of f -- which is different from the CS notion of
"varies within a single invocation".  So it's not even illegitimate
given the other meaning of "variable".

(As you know, I make a royal fuss about this in 173.  So it took me a
while to reconcile to this change.  But I think it's absolutely
right.)