[racket-dev] ohloh page

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Wed Jul 6 21:48:58 EDT 2011

John Clements wrote at 07/06/2011 08:53 PM:
> 2) I see that we're "in the top 2% of all open-source projects" according to ohloh.  Perhaps we should advertise this?

Below is very opinion-heavy seat-of-pants reaction.  I'm not familiar
with Ohloh, and I could be off the mark...

The Ohloh site seems oriented towards PHBs who use 'analysis' like
"decreasing year-over-year development activity" without wondering
whether it's at all accurate and meaningful.  (Yes, that's what they say
about Racket, with a yellow warning graphic.  And only 2 people on that
site claim to use Racket, which just looks funny.)

A quick poll of open source developers I bumped into, including one
loosely connected to Ohloh, said nothing positive about it.  Personally,
I would invest a little effort in making Racket look good on Ohloh now
that we're there, since that might serendipitously come in handy for a
PHB someday.  But I don't know that I would link to Ohloh or mention
them outside of their own site right now.  Too much like those tacky
bogus "Top x% Web Site" awards in the late '90s.

--
http://www.neilvandyke.org/