[racket-dev] Git

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 7 10:50:11 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 10:42 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
> Another question: what if I commit something just for the purpose of
> moving to another machine and I don't want that commit to show up in
> the main repository? Is that possible? (My tree is currently in that
> state; it is one commit ahead of plt/master but that commit message is
> a lie-- I've just started to do that job; ordinarily I'd do git commit
> --amend to add more stuff to it, but now I'm worried about that.)

If you commit something to your own private repository, you can then
rebase relative to plt/master, and then the bogus commit won't show up
(or rather, whatever the result of the rebase is will show up, which
can differ arbitrarily).

Once you commit to the main repository, though, history-rewriting is disallowed.

Does that answer your question?
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu