[racket-dev] Latex files

From: Robby Findler (robby at eecs.northwestern.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 19 08:30:24 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 7:25 AM, Neil Van Dyke <neil at neilvandyke.org> wrote:
> Robby Findler wrote at 02/19/2011 08:00 AM:
>>
>> But I'm starting to think that Matthew's solution is easiest. Lets just
>> punt.
>>

> FWIW, I see additional reasons to, as Matthew suggested, *not* bundle
> third-party La/TeX class/style files in with Racket:
>
> * If user needs a different version of the file, avoid headache of getting
> LaTeX to pick up the desired version when there's a name conflict.

For some of the things that scribble generates, new versions of the
file will break scribble (this is why I originally thought it worth
the work to try to have scribble download it from a known place).

> * If user needs a different version of the file, avoid accidentally getting
> the Racket-bundled version without knowing.

This shouldn't happen. The user says

  #lang scribble/jfp

which is its own, well-documented thing that does not adjust anyone's
TEXINPUT paths or anything like that. It only uses jfp's style to help
the final paper be something that jfp finds suitable for publishing.

> * For each paper, user should probably be archiving the exact class/style
> files used for the paper anyway, for future reproducibility.  So, if they
> care about versions, they probably shouldn't be relying on whatever version
> of Racket is installed.

This means that they probably shoudln't be writing their papers in
Scribble, then! (And, of course, if they don't do that, then I think
that there are no issues.)

Robby

Posted on the dev mailing list.