[racket-dev] Racket home page proposal

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 20 08:02:15 EST 2011

Asumu, thanks for the effort.

I like the width of the Ruby and Clojure pages -- space on each side is good.
I really like the highlighting of the sample code on the Ruby page.
I prefer our organization of sample code, and I wish we could run some of these in Danny's compiler.
I like the height of the old Racket page.
And I like the simplicity of the old Racket page and the Clojure page.

I do NOT like pages that have text below my laptop screen 'fold'.
My eyes do glaze over. And I am off the page quickly.

I wouldn't mind a second Racket site that has some of what Asumu proposes, say Racket-fans.org

On Dec 20, 2011, at 7:49 AM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:

> I like the idea too, but I think we should bring more content from
> other parts of the site to the front page.   The Ruby home page
> [http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/] has most of our "participate" section
> on the front page, for example.  The Clojure home page
> [http://clojure.org/] does a nice job with the blog integration.  And
> the node.js download link [http://nodejs.org/] is very well done.
>
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:07 AM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>> I like the idea, but I think our twitter feed and blog aren't updated enough.
>>
>> Robby
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:34 PM, Asumu Takikawa <asumu at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Currently, the Racket home page is really nice, but it leaves a
>>> significant amount of vertical space unused that could be used to
>>> communicate information.
>>>
>>> How would people feel about adding more content "below the fold" on the
>>> website? To be more concrete about this, here's a mockup I made:
>>>
>>> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/asumu/racket-home/
>>> (should look fine on Firefox, Opera, and Chrome at least)
>>>
>>> Notably, it contains a twitter feed for @racketlang and entries from the
>>> blog. These might help to give the first impression that we're an active
>>> community.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Asumu