[racket-dev] drRacket Close/Close tab

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 31 08:24:11 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 8:13 AM, Robby Findler
<robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:

>>> I'm going to follow the apple human interface guidelines on this
>>> point and leave things as they are:
>>>
>>> http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/AppleHIGuidelines/Menus/Menus.html

>> In this case you should fix the above-mentioned moving, because on Gtk
>> Ctrl+W stays put no matter the number of tabs.
>
> The GTK interface guidelines suggest that "close" (and thus control-w)
> should "close the current document" which, to me, means the current
> tab, not the current window. I find that here:
>
> http://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/3.0/hig-book.html#the-file-menu
>
> (This is different from Apple's which say that "close" always closes a
> window.) I suppose that means that I should change the meaning of the
> "close" menu under gtk without changing the label of the menu but I
> think that's probably slightly more confusing than the status quo
> (well, when the bug mentioned below gets fixed).

I tried 4 different tabbed application on my system (Ubuntu 11.04).
Firefox, which doesn't try as hard to follow platform guidelines,
doesn't have a close menu entry at all, and Ctrl-w closes the
currently-open tab, unless there's only one, and then it closes the
window.

The other three applications (Pidgin, Epiphany, Gedit) all follow the
behavior described in the HIG: there is only a Close menu entry (no
Close Tab), it closes the current tab, and its shortcut is Ctrl-w.

I think we should follow the platform guidelines here as well, and do the same.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.