[racket-dev] my '312' this semester, how we compare to others

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 21 15:58:22 EDT 2011

I had a request for line counts:

 -- my own project used ~5,000loc, which includes comments and blank lines
	-- of these, ~3,200 lines are 'real' code and some ~1,800 lines of rackunit code

 -- the Java projects run at about 2x to 3x the line count (the best project comes in at close to 12Kloc)

 -- the C++ project is close to 4Kloc, w/o any tests

 -- the Python project came out to 2,8000 lines, including tests

Some caveats apply of course:

 ++ Java is extremely verbose and cumbersome, even with parametric polymorphism.

 ++ Only one project had a larger test ratio than my own. But the project was in Java and see preceding bullet.

 ++ Only the C++ project has a GUI that is comparable to my own.

 ++ Not one server lived up to the same quality level as mine. (I sent them a free-formatted string of 1,000,000 lines and that broke everyone's code).

 ++ Two of seven clients faulted all the time. One faulted on an intermittent basis.

And there are other caveats. I am sure I could write more compact Java code than any of the students, though I doubt I'd get close to what I have.

I will reflect some more and report on the language comparison a bit more.

-- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.