[racket-dev] internal definitions & stepper

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Tue Oct 19 13:02:03 EDT 2010

On Oct 19, 2010, at 8:56 AM, John Clements wrote:

> On Oct 19, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Michael Sperber wrote:
>

>> Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> writes:
>>
>>> How recently did the change come in that allows internal definitions
>>> all over the place? And how broken did this make the stepper?
>>
>> Pretty broken: There are now (let () ...)s all over the place.
>>
>> (I've sent separate e-mail to John and Matthew.)
>
> ? I don't see that e-mail.  That may not be important.
>
> Re: fixing stepper failures: I'm guessing that these failures have been hidden by the test-only bug that's prevented the drdr tests from running on the stepper for the last week.  I'm hoping that the build that's currently preventing me from typing rapidly will also allow me to run the main test suite manually and see what's broken.

Pflug. The two flavors of test suite (command-line and interactive) are broken in *different* ways as a result of recent changes to the testing engine.

In the interest of getting this fixed quickly, I'm going to describe these, just in case anyone has suggestions.

1) The command-line tests fail like this:

   given: #(struct:error-result "require: namespace mismatch; reference (phase 0) to a module \"/Users/clements/plt/collects/test-engine/racket-tests.rkt\" that is not available (phase level 0) in: test")

When I attach the test-engine/racket-tests module to the user's namespace, these failures turn into:

   given: #(struct:error-result "link: module mismatch, probably from old bytecode whose dependencies have changed: variable not provided (directly or indirectly) from module: \"/Users/clements/plt/collects/test-engine/racket-tests.rkt\" accessed from module: 'stepper-module-name-762 at source phase level: 0 in: test")

This module does appear to provide a macro called 'test', so ... I'm not sure how to interpret this message. It doesn't look like something I can solve by re-running raco setup.

(FWIW, for those of you with deja vu, yes: this is the same question I cc:'ed to plt-dev before.)

2) The interactive tests fail like this:

   given: #(struct:error-result "namespace-variable-value: test~object is not defined")

I haven't worked on this one yet... but it looks like this is also something that was added this month.

John