[plt-dev] 2htdp/image: Where oh where have my pinholes gone?

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 13 10:23:06 EST 2010

To clarify:

Say you run a test like this:

  (check-expect (image-producing-function 1 "true") expression-that-
creates-expected-image)

and it fails. Naturally, you do this in the REPL:

 > (image-producing-function 1 "true")
some-image
 > expression-that-creates-expected-image
an-image-that-looks-exactly-like-some-image

;; you're confused and you run an equality check:

 > (equal? (image-producing-function 1 "true") expression-that-creates-
expected-image)
false

Now you're really confused, and you're angry, because clearly there
must be a bug in this damn software that your instructor imposes on
you even though everyone knows that in a first course you should learn
Java or at least C++, well may be Basic. So you stomp into your
professors office and yell. At that point he pulls out a standard
function -- not in the released library mind you -- and shows you're
just not thinking properly:

 > (image+pinhole (image-producing-function 1 "true"))
some-image
 > (image+pinhole expression-that-creates-expected-image)
an-image-that-looks-different-from-some-image

So now that you have been shown off again, you know what's going on.
This guy is just trying to humiliate you. You are going to write a bad
eval for him and you're going to bad-mouth this stupid software
wherever you can.

;; ---

The above account is fictional. All possible connections between the
characters and real-life people is coincidence.

Posted on the dev mailing list.