[plt-dev] 2htdp/image: Where oh where have my pinholes gone?

From: Michael Sperber (sperber at deinprogramm.de)
Date: Wed Jan 13 03:17:02 EST 2010

Robby Findler <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Robby Findler
> <robby at eecs.northwestern.edu> wrote:
>> This is why pinholes are good, but it was decided that they are too
>> complex so they're now gone.
>
> To clarify here: this was not my decision; I don't mean to be
> defending it here. Perhaps those that considered them too complex can
> explain more here, for everyone's benefit.

The problem with htpd/image is that the pinholes are constantly in your
face.  (Also, they're part of the images identity, even though they're
not visible.  Huge pain for writing test cases.)  Maybe an alternative
API could alleviate that problem, but I'll believe it when I see it.
The deinprogramm/image teachpack is essentially htdp/image without the
pinholes, and we've been running with it since 2006 - and have been very
pleased with the experience.

--
Cheers =8-} Mike