[plt-dev] Re: [plt-scheme] scribble sigplan

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Wed Apr 28 08:23:49 EDT 2010

On Apr 28, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> [switching to plt-dev]
> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> >
> > Doing this on Linux will require searching (evince and xpdf are other
> > likely candidates, and more generic things like `gnome-open') -- it's
> > going to take some time for xdg-open to be popular enough.  (And
> > before you argue: "popular" = installed by default on practically all
> > distros, old ones that don't have it are a negligible minority.  Both
> > are currently wrong.)
> What distros don't install xdg-open by default?  I'm pretty sure
> Fedora and Ubuntu both do.

Fedora doesn't (I have an F12 setup, and it's not in the default
installation), and that means that RH is even further away from having

> Also, I'm suggesting only showing the button if 'xdg-open' is in the
> path, rather than having some complicated search.

Right -- this means a whole bunch of people who will not see it.

> > Windows should be easy -- just openning it will let the shell do
> > whatever needs to be done.
> If you know how to do it, the code is in
> scribble/tools/drscheme-buttons.

Just do the same thing as the browser -- it could do the same
search-if-no-default thing.  Or even easier -- do it through
`send-url/file' and let the browser (that it decides on) deal with
it.  Since on OSX this runs "open location <url>" it's likely to work
even there.