[plt-dev] Re: [plt-scheme] scribble sigplan

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 28 07:48:44 EDT 2010

[switching to plt-dev]

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 7:30 AM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> On Apr 28, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>> The PDF button only works on OS X, where there's always an easy way
>> to open a PDF.  We could probably test for the presence of
>> `xdg-open' on Linux to make it work there too.
>
> Doing this on Linux will require searching (evince and xpdf are other
> likely candidates, and more generic things like `gnome-open') -- it's
> going to take some time for xdg-open to be popular enough.  (And
> before you argue: "popular" = installed by default on practically all
> distros, old ones that don't have it are a negligible minority.  Both
> are currently wrong.)

What distros don't install xdg-open by default?  I'm pretty sure
Fedora and Ubuntu both do.  Also, I'm suggesting only showing the
button if 'xdg-open' is in the path, rather than having some
complicated search.

> Windows should be easy -- just openning it will let the shell do
> whatever needs to be done.

If you know how to do it, the code is in scribble/tools/drscheme-buttons.

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu

Posted on the dev mailing list.