[plt-dev] Format of push notification emails

From: Carl Eastlund (cce at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 21 22:26:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:20 PM, Eli Barzilay <eli at barzilay.org> wrote:
> On Apr 21, Carl Eastlund wrote:
>> I currently find the commits hard to parse; there's a lot of
>> information and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at.  On
>> the other hand, I haven't had much time to get used to them, and I
>> don't believe any of the edits have touched code I'm familiar with.
>> So it's probably just a matter of time.  Once the system has been
>> around longer I may have more substantial comments.
>
> One thing that might help there is to trim the headers, so instead of
>

>  commit 5d6ae2b4b9cf00b96095cb86c68c9b61f0f573ce
>  Author: Matthew Flatt <mflatt at racket-lang.org>
>  Date:   2010-04-21 19:32:33 -0600
>
>      rackty start page
>
>   5 files changed, 15 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)
>

> you will see:
>

>  commit 5d6ae2b --- Matthew Flatt <mflatt at racket-lang.org>
>
>      rackty start page
>
>   5 files changed, 15 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)
>

> (There is a minor change to git that I'm waiting for that will make it
> easier to have this format.)
>
> --
>          ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))          Eli Barzilay:
>                    http://barzilay.org/                   Maze is Life!

What I'd really like to see first is the commit message and the names
of changed files.  I don't want any other metadata in the header;
possibly the committer's name.  That's what I need to see to decide if
I know or care anything about the commit.  I don't need to know the
hash code to decide that, nor a tally of changes versus insertions;
other metadata distracts from the immediate decision.

Once I've decided that, then I want to see any other quick reference
information: the hash and so forth.

And if I really want to delve in, then the full diff.

If you can put it in that order with clear demarcation of the parts,
that would be great.

--Carl

Posted on the dev mailing list.