[plt-dev] Re: renaming programs in the distribution

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 21 10:30:28 EDT 2010

On Apr 21, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:

> I'm surprised that you would find this useful for *just* programs
> written in Racket.  Either we'd write a really nice program launcher
> (I know people who really like Quicksilver for the Mac, for example),
> in which case I'd want to use it for all the programs I use, such as
> emacs and Firefox, even if they aren't written in Racket, or our
> program launcher wouldn't be as nice as the one for my OS, in which
> case I'd want to treat DrRacket and SirMail and PLT-Games as
> individual programs that I launched like any other program.
>
> In other words, I want to launch my email client in the nicest and
> most convenient way possible, regardless of whether it's written in
> Racket.

I am not arguing for abandoning these separate tools. You're an
old Unix man and I appreciate and I have learned to live with such
grumpy old guys. But for youngsters like me, I think it would be
neat if we had this additional tool so that I can run all these
things from one common space, eliminating some space overhead
from my machine. (It seems like no matter how much memory I buy,
it's never enough.)

;; ---

And yes, Robby had such a tool and it's probably my memories
of his prototype that make me wish it were available.

-- Matthias

Posted on the dev mailing list.