[plt-dev] Re: renaming programs in the distribution

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 21 10:22:55 EDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 10:15 AM, Matthias Felleisen
<matthias at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2010, at 10:10 AM, Robby Findler wrote:
>
>> The various GUI tools that we have are generally found in drscheme's
>> UI (check syntax etc) or as libraries in a program run in drs
>> (slideshow).
>

> I am imagining tools that are independent from drscheme for a moment.
> Consider sirmail and just imagine for a moment that it was the best
> email client ever. What I'd like then is (min) a gui 'thing' that
> offers three buttons:
>
>  +----------+-------+---------+
>  | drscheme | games | sirmail |
>  +----------+-------+---------+
>
> I would personally plug in my scripts for maintaining my accounts,
> my stocks, etc.

I'm surprised that you would find this useful for *just* programs
written in Racket.  Either we'd write a really nice program launcher
(I know people who really like Quicksilver for the Mac, for example),
in which case I'd want to use it for all the programs I use, such as
emacs and Firefox, even if they aren't written in Racket, or our
program launcher wouldn't be as nice as the one for my OS, in which
case I'd want to treat DrRacket and SirMail and PLT-Games as
individual programs that I launched like any other program.

In other words, I want to launch my email client in the nicest and
most convenient way possible, regardless of whether it's written in
Racket.
--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu