[plt-dev] usr repositories

From: Noel Welsh (noelwelsh at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 17 16:17:26 EDT 2010

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 9:05 PM, Carl Eastlund <cce at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> DrDr should be a last resort, not our main testing facility.  Other
> people build off the shared repository; it shouldn't be the common
> place for a round-trip during develop/test/fix/repeat.  People should
> test whatever their changes are likely to impact.  Hopefully git will
> make this easier on us so people won't be so tempted to commit without
> testing.

Well the bit I didn't add, and should have, is that if enough ppl feel
this way you can setup a system whereby only certain versions get
promoted to a 'milestones' branch from which everyone can build from.
E.g. there exists at least three branches: dev (stuff waiting QA
developing towards the next release), milestones (dev that has passed
QA aka DrDr) and release (the last release + patches). You branch from
milestones but merge into dev. That way only you can break your build.

N.

Posted on the dev mailing list.