[plt-dev] Scribble-generate HTML documentation is too wide

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Feb 23 00:17:04 EST 2009

The new HTML-based documentation wants to take up most of my screen width.

This makes it hard to look back and forth between code and documentation.

There are two main layout changes that I'd like to suggest:

1. Get rid of the left and right margins.  The "margin notes" in the
right margin can be moved inline in the main column.  The TOC in the
left margin can be moved to an "autohiding" box that floats in the
upper-right of the window.  The autohiding TOC box could be anchored
with a click.

2. Don't enforce a fixed width for the text.  Let user narrow window to
fit on screen without having to do horizontal scrolling.  (Enforcing a
*maximum* text width might be good, however, so long as it is done
relative to font size/metrics.)

Incidentally, I am invested: I finally kludged up a convertor from my
embedded documentation format to Scribble (example:
"http://www.neilvandyke.org/csv-scheme/"), and will be using the
Scribble-generated HTML for the official home pages of all my portable
Scheme libraries.

Thanks.  Scribble is pretty impressive.

Neil

--