[racket] Crowdsourcing Pict3D's design

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Thu Mar 19 22:00:53 EDT 2015

On 03/19/2015 02:09 PM, Raoul Duke wrote:
>> Currently, the vertex data for frozen shapes is transferred every frame. The
>> 3D engine is saturating your AGP bus.
>
> the year 2003 called and wants its technology back. :-)

The year 1861 sent you a telegraph: they want their insult back. :p

Anyway... there are things missing from Pict3D not because they're
difficult, but because I haven't decided on a design. This one's a prime
example. The 3D engine already uses vertex buffer objects (i.e. current
tech) to stream vertex data. It would be easy to give each frozen Pict3D
its own, and send to and evict from the GPU based on some caching
policy. But I haven't researched good policies yet.

Texture and normal maps are another prime example. From a UI
perspective, texture coordinates have got to be the worst way to
associate sub-geometry details with a shape. I don't know what Pict3D
will have instead. I'm half-inclined to make a mini-DSL that compiles to
vertex and fragment shaders and let you figure it out. :D

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.