[racket] Installing DrRacket on Chromebook

From: Darren Cruse (darren.cruse at gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 31 22:02:03 EST 2015

@Peter I was just snooping at my chromebook relative to these messages -
/etc/apt and /etc/apt/sources.list are on my machine - googling it does
appear they're fundamental to using apt (apt-get).  I suspect Yuhao is
right that her machine is messed up somehow.

But I also did remember more about how I installed it last time - not using
apt-get.  I'd definitely downloaded the shell script from
http://racket-lang.org/download/.  I would think this would/should work on
her machine if it's a somewhat recent version of ubuntu and if her machine
isn't just terribly/totally messed up.

I'd chosen the "Distribution" of "Racket" and the "Platform" of "Linux
x86_64 (Ubuntu precise)".

Which gets to:
http://mirror.racket-lang.org/installers/6.1.1/racket-6.1.1-x86_64-linux-ubuntu-precise.sh

(I just realized I thought you'd said she was on ubuntu 12.04 which is
"Precise" - but did I misread that?  If you're unsure of the ubuntu version
- I'd just try it!  A lot easier than upgrading the OS!!)

Once racket-6.1.1-x86_64-linux-ubuntu-precise.sh downloads it's truly just
a script you run from a terminal window - there's a little bit of
explanation in comments at the top of the script but I *think* I simply did:

$ sh racket-6.1.1-x86_64-linux-ubuntu-precise.sh

It ends up putting a link to drracket in /usr/local/bin, which is probably
in her path (so "drracket" alone should start it), but even if not after it
installs she should be able to start it from a terminal with:

$ /usr/local/bin/drracket

Hope maybe this helps,

Darren