[racket] Racket on Centos?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sat Jan 17 20:38:16 EST 2015

Neil Toronto wrote on 01/17/2015 07:57 PM:

> Ubuntu has had ASLR enabled by default since 10.04 (about five years).
> During that time, in my experience, it's never affected Racket.
>
> I do have to use "setarch i686 -R" to disable ASLR to run Maxima,
> which is written in Common Lisp. So it's a problem for some GC'd
> runtimes, but apparently not our favorite one. :D

You could be right; I'm fuzzy on this, due to one experience.  A few
years ago, one of my clients ran into a problem with long-running Racket
server processes on Ubuntu that (in native stack trace) looked like
ASLR.   Problem disappeared once ASLR was disabled. They were probably
still using the `cgc` (not `3m`) collector at that time, and it was
probably around the time they migrated to Ubuntu Server 10.04.

(Then again, they might've still had some C extensions in their Racket
app at that time, so all bets are off.  The C code quality was good, as
C code quality goes, but still.  I eventually replaced all the C code in
that app with pure Racket and external native processes, for various
other reasons.  A lot of uncontrolled variables here, but I recall no
problems like the ones we thought were ASLR, since we disabled ASLR.  If
it turns out that ASLR is a problem, it's a bad enough and
hard-to-diagnose problem that everyone putting apps into production
needs to know about it.)

Neil ⋀

Posted on the users mailing list.