[racket] Current advice on making a 'script'

From: Jay McCarthy (jay.mccarthy at gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 14 16:54:18 EST 2015

The demodularizer is not yet reliable. It's mainly been used for analyzing
programs. It could be used for this purpose in the future, but it needs
some love to do that!

Jay

On Wed, Jan 14, 2015 at 4:45 PM, Jens Axel Søgaard <jensaxel at soegaard.net>
wrote:

> Perhaps the demodularizer could be used to produce a single .zo file,
> and the script could simply start it?
>
>     http://docs.racket-lang.org/raco/demod.html?q=raco
>
> /Jens Axel

> > Leif, hello.
> >
> >> On 2015 Jan 14, at 18:46, Leif Andersen <leif at leifandersen.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> If you want it to be a single file script you can execute, you can just
> make your file be:
> >>
> >> #!/usr/bin/env racket
> >> #lang racket/base
> >>
> >> (module foo racket/base
> >>   (provide x)
> >>   (define x 5))
> >>
> >> (module bar racket/base
> >>   (require (submod ".." foo))
> >>   (display x))
> >>
> >> (require 'foo 'bar)
> >
> > Well, yes, that's what I've done, with an exec trampoline at the top,
> but I think I'd prefer to keep the various modules separate in a more
> traditional fashion, to make testing and so on easier.  Hence rewriting the
> various (require "foo.rkt") and concatenating them in dependency order.
> It's not pretty (I can just sense, and indeed share, Jay's distaste for
> sed-ding a Racket source file, from here!), but it seems robust, and has
> the straightforwardness of a single-file 'executable', without the
> hammer-to-crack-a-nut of 'raco exe' (though disk space is cheap, of course;
> and in my case it's only 6MB, so what's the odds....).
> >
> > Anyway: I was stumbling towards this solution, and thought that I was
> surely not the first person to want this, but couldn't find anything
> analogous in the sections on starting Racket, so thought I must be missing
> something.
> >
> > I suspect that what was in my head was something like Java's .jar file:
> a zip file containing a bundle of compiled files in a single artefact,
> which needs a separate executable to run, but which is boneheadedly easy to
> manage.
> >
> > Thanks, all, for your various observations.
> >
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Norman
> >

> > --
> > Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
> > SUPA School of Physics and Astronomy, University of Glasgow, UK
> >

> > ____________________
> >   Racket Users list:
> >   http://lists.racket-lang.org/users
>

> --
> --
> Jens Axel Søgaard

>   Racket Users list:
>   http://lists.racket-lang.org/users

--
Jay McCarthy
http://jeapostrophe.github.io

           "Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing,
      for ye are laying the foundation of a great work.
And out of small things proceedeth that which is great."
                          - D&C 64:33