[racket] postgres connect problem - unexpected 'password required' error

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Jan 1 11:12:03 EST 2015

Thomas Lynch wrote on 01/01/2015 10:32 AM:

> I don't know if there is an issue that caused the package to be
> distributed with these config settings so I will go with the #:socket
> `guess approach until I have a better understanding.

The Debian default settings for PG access are OK to start with,
especially if it's just a single-user workstation, and not sensitive
data.  If someone is setting up a PG server or handling sensitive data,
they'll definitely want to have some understanding of what their access
control settings are in `pg_hba.conf`.  A few-minute shortcut is to
comment-out all the access method lines except the one or two that you
think you use, then make sure you understand everything in that line or
two.  Most of the other stuff is not relevant to most people.

Another reason for programmers to look at `pg_hba.conf` at least once
(though this doesn't affect you right now) is performance: the file
specifies which access methods can/can't/may use SSL, and SSL can give
you awful latency on each PG request.  Depending on `pg_hba.conf`
settings, PG clients might silently use SSL on some systems without the
programmer knowing it, and then programmer wonders why his/her database
seems so slow.

BTW, Ryan Culpepper, et al., did an excellent job on the Racket support
for PostgreSQL.  This support is being used for some heavy and
complicated PG access by some important systems.

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.