[racket] try-racket alternative

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Thu Feb 26 19:00:51 EST 2015

Floyd Arguello wrote on 02/26/2015 05:58 PM:

> I like the idea of saving programs through a Google account,

That might be fine for particular users of this particular app... but,
as a general comment, for people doing other Web-based apps, using "the
cloud" in this way is actually a really bad direction for privacy in
most cases.

(This is a serious and huge topic, which is mostly outside the scope of
Racket, and I doubt any of us want to get into the topic here by
building up from first principles.  I just think that that kind of cloud
use shouldn't be mentioned in an impressionability-heavy venue like
this, without someone pointing out that it's not necessarily a good
general approach.)

If anyone just wants quick&dirty storage for a Web app (online or
offline), the easiest thing to consider first is
"http://mozilla.github.io/localForage/".  You can look at the
implications from there, but it's one of the easiest and best starting
points for most Web app casual storage purposes at the moment.

Neil

Posted on the users mailing list.