[racket] compiling Racket to android and ios apps

From: Eric Dong (yd2dong at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Sun Feb 22 23:31:02 EST 2015

I think this is really wrong. Of course, you can program in Racket in a
R5RS style, but it would hardly be idiomatic Racket. Most of my Racket code
is very hard to port to R5RS, due to using features like generics, the
match macro, and for/... loops. As another example, almost all of my
non-trivial programs heavily use immutable sets and dictionaries, which few
if any Schemes provide. Racket's module systems is also very good, and I
use things like prefix-in quite often, while most Schemes have really poor
module systems. The styles are different enough that I very much enjoy
writing complicated systems in Racket, but absolutely abhor the few
occasions I had to make something other than a monolithic script in Chicken
or Gambit.

Unfortunately, a lot of the "Racket" code I see around are little more than
R5RS with #lang racket on top of them. I blame HtDP and similar things
which treat Racket as a Scheme environment for teaching, and essentially
R5RS++, which I can't blame since Scheme is much more minimalist and much
better for education. But it misses the point of Racket IMO. Racket feels
much more like Common Lisp than Scheme in terms of the large number of
forms and heaps of core features.