[racket] request for "check"

From: Matthias Felleisen (matthias at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 4 21:00:23 EST 2014

On Nov 4, 2014, at 8:43 PM, Adam Shaw wrote:

> Glad to see "check-satisfied" enter the pantheon. A request:
>
> "check": test passes if expression(s) evaluate to true, otherwise fails.
>
> ex: (check (ascending? (sort list)))
>
> ex: (check (> x 0) (< y 0))

I understand the motivation behind your request. If I were
designing a unit test framework, it would have been in there
a long time ago. It is in rackunit and other testing frameworks
we employ here.

BUT:

The check- library in *SL isn't about convenience. It's about
getting kids to understand that functions are applied and have
expected outputs and that functions are applied and the result
has certain properties.

That's why it's (check-expect (f i) o) and all other check-
thingies are properties of the result.

Thanks for the suggestion -- Matthias

Posted on the users mailing list.