[racket] Blog post about Racket

From: Konrad Hinsen (konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net)
Date: Wed May 14 09:21:51 EDT 2014

Jay Kominek writes:

 > Perhaps you could add a page to the Racket wiki on github, like the
 > intro projects page
 > (https://github.com/plt/racket/wiki/Intro-Projects) but which
 > covers... "Scientific Racket projects"? Divide it up like "machine
 > learning", "statistical analysis", "file formats" and then either list
 > the things you'd like to see it capable of, or just point to the
 > best-in-class from other languages and say "beat that".

That's a very good idea. Here's a start, summing up what has
been mentioned in this thread:

   https://github.com/plt/racket/wiki/Scientific-Computing

 > > often not pretty. I'd like to have scientists do science and
 > > programmers write programs. Racket could become the meeting point for
 > > the two professions.
 >
 > I've personally watched a number of projects where that could've saved
 > significant time, money and frustration. I'm not optimistic about it
 > coming to pass, but it'd sure be nice.

I believe that a crucial missing piece is a suitable interface that
clearly defines the responsibilities of each party. Today's scientific
software mixes science and computational technology so inextricably
that you cannot touch one without modifying the other. For a more
detailed description, see http://f1000r.es/3af.

Konrad.

Posted on the users mailing list.