[racket] Isn't the web application tutorial too advanced?

From: Christopher D. Walborn (tuirgin at gmail.com)
Date: Sun May 4 12:19:47 EDT 2014

Franco, your PDF looks interesting. Any chance the rest of the blocks
are available?

As for my background, I've been in IT or other tech related fields for
20 years and have done a little bit of naive shell scripting, but
hadn't had any formal training until last year when I took a MOOC that
used HTDP. (Gregor Kiczales, Introduction to Systematic Program
Design). Since then I've taken a couple other classes from reputable,
big name schools, but they are largely imperative and OO, use Python
in what I gather is a non-idiomatic way, and just feel far less
rigorous, less interesting, and less mind-developing/altering. I've
turned back several times to HTDP to continue working through it  on
my own, and I've also worked through most of The Little Schemer but
felt like I was getting in over my head by the Lambda chapter. I'm
looking for any materials I can find that will scratch the itch that
was started by Kiczales's class.

HTDP seems appropriately paced for me, but I could really use
supplemental materials that build upon it with more projects, or
faster paced tutorials -- something to break it up a bit more than is
possible with the finger exercises. I think that's what happened with
the Kiczales class -- we'd covered the equivalent of a chapter or two
and then work on numerous assignments and projects which required
synthesis of the material. I *really* wish there were more MOOC
offerings that built on Program by Design. Going back to school isn't
currently a possibility for me, but lectures and coursework deadlines
provide a structure that keeps me going where books can be easily laid
aside. Kiczales's class was the best thing I've come across so far. I
want more. Any suggestions?

Sorry -- I know I've strayed far from the original topic.

--
Christopher D. Walborn      :      http://laconic-prolixity.blogspot.com