[racket] Python creep

From: Prabhakar Ragde (plragde at uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 27 12:31:04 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-26, 1:29 AM, users-request at racket-lang.org wrote:
> I heard Cornell and Harvard use OCaml, of all things. . . .

Cornell appears to use Python and MATLAB in their first courses; I don't
see OCaml until third year. Harvard uses OCaml in a second course; C,
PHP, Javascript in a first.  Even CMU uses OCaml in a second or third
course, after Python and a safe version of C.

We use Racket by choice in our first courses at Waterloo, and I use
Haskell as well in my advanced version, but I wouldn't be unhappy if I
had to use OCaml (though the students might be more unhappy). And if I
were forced to use an imperative language, I would choose Python,
probably (though I'd probably just stop teaching the first course). --PR

Posted on the users mailing list.