[racket] Inner workings of source annotation

From: Jonker, Todd (jonker at amazon.com)
Date: Fri Jun 20 21:10:57 EDT 2014

Thank you for the tips pointing me in the right direction.

Apologies for not giving more context; that would certainly help. I’ve been embedded deeply in Racket-space for a couple years now, but lawyers prevent me from talking about my work and I’ve only recently been given permissions to ask questions in public. Please forgive my being indirect and opaque when I’d much rather dish the dirt.

I have a fairly intimate understanding of the macro expander, and understand that the resulting syntax objects retain source location, lexical context, and various properties.  Very soon after sending my email it dawned on me that I’d mistakenly assumed that the editor retained the original source objects and built a visual model atop that, but now I see that’s not the case. It looks like the association between the expanded source objects and the original source text is done solely through the source-location. Fair enough.

Since my last mail I discovered drracket/private/syncheck/traversals which seems to be the meat of it. I see that it recursively parses the expanded code (core syntax forms), builds several indices and cross-references, then sends the results to the editor layer via various syncheck-annotations methods.

In other words I think I’ve got a handle on it now.

Thanks again everyone!

—Todd