[racket] hooray for JIT

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Sun Jun 15 00:52:19 EDT 2014

I just realized/remembered what a big win the Racket JIT is.  Thank you
for JIT!

(After hand-optimizing some legacy code today, speeding it up 7x, I
thought I'd disable the JIT, to get the profiler to drill down past some
inlining in the remaining hotspot.  I disabled the JIT, ran the code,
and then waited, and waited, and went to the kitchen and started making
a split pea soup, and waited.... Looks like the Racket 5.3.4 JIT alone
is giving us slightly over 20x speedup on this particular
performance-sensitive code.  Some of the code in this system was written
for PLT 103 or 200, so the JIT coming along sometime after that has
probably been a lifesaver as the system grew.)

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.