[racket] C-extensions in DrRacket

From: Marc Groenewegen (marc.dinkum at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Jan 14 16:05:57 EST 2014

Hello,

I have a working C-extension for Racket. In the Racket CLI and the
interactions window of DrRacket it works like a charm. However, I can't get
it to work in the definitions window of DrRacket, which would be really
useful as this is the interface for my students to develop their programs.

The problem seems to be that definitions in the extension are not 'seen'
(or registered or something). The module is loaded (or at least found) but
DrRacket complains that it doesn't have execute permission for it, which I
don't understand.

In the C code I declared the extension to be a module and I tried both
inclusion methods:

(load-extension "racket_extension.so")
  and
(require "racket_extension.rkt") ; which requires you put it in a folder
relative to the current working folder as follows:
"compiled/native/x86_64-linux/3m/racket_extension_rkt.so"

Neither method works. The first case gives no error, but the definitions of
the external are not registered ("undefined").

In the second case DrRacket gives an error:
  forbidden (execute) access to
....compiled/native/x86_64-linux/3m/racket_extension_rkt.so
but why?

Does anyone have ideas how I can get this to work? What am I overlooking?

Thanks!
Marc