[racket] raco setup broken if behind softlink

From: Sam Tobin-Hochstadt (samth at cs.indiana.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 27 10:18:51 EST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
> At Thu, 27 Feb 2014 10:07:27 -0500, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 9:19 AM, Matthew Flatt <mflatt at cs.utah.edu> wrote:
>> > The `raco setup` and `setup-plt` programs are the same, and the program
>> > decides how to treat arguments based on the name used to run it. Since
>> > your link is not called "raco", then it uses `setup-plt` mode, which
>> > treats arguments as file names instead of collection names.
>>
>> Would it be reasonable to reverse the sense of this test, and only
>> behave like `setup-plt` if the program is called "setup-plt"?
>
> It's more complicated than simply deciding that the opposite default
> makes sense. The reason that `setup-plt` and `raco setup` are the same
> program has to do with bootstrapping and compatibility, and that
> constrains he implementation. I think there must be a better way to
> implement the distinction, though.

For bootstrapping and implementation complexity reasons, I can imagine
that things would be hard to change.  But I would expect that now, 3.5
years after the switch, bugs like Tobias' are more likely than the
opposite `./mysetup-plt` bug would be, even though the reverse was
probably true when we switched to Racket.

Sam

Posted on the users mailing list.