[racket] web server stopped responding to TCP connections

From: George Neuner (gneuner2 at comcast.net)
Date: Mon Dec 29 16:09:33 EST 2014

Hi all,

Using 6.0.1.

Over the weekend my webserver application suddenly stopped responding to
TCP connections.  It was following a large spate of broken connections
caused by debugging an issue on the browser side.  In mucking with the
browser JS code I was repeatedly interrupting handling a chain of
several XHR calls.

In the server output were scores of 10053 "software caused connection
abort" errors.  Unfortunately, I don't have the exact messages - at the
time I was running the server app with its log output to the console so
I could monitor it, and, stupidly!, the output wasn't tee'd into a
file.  The errors were being thrown by send/back  from several different
servlets.  The server still responded to SIGINT and so I was able to
terminate it cleanly.

I've seen (and caused) plenty of broken connections, but the server has
never before locked up for any reason.  Even when my servlets would
crash they never took down the whole application - the dispatcher
faithfully would continue to run and (re)launch the servlets to fail yet
again.

Nor does the problem seem to be easily repeatable - I've been trying
various scenarios but so far I haven't been able to duplicate it. But I
never saw any other errors: just the bunch of 10053's and then the
application suddenly stopped responding to TCP connections.

I don't even know where to look for the problem.  Does anyone (Jay?)
know what this is or have a suggestion as to how to diagnose it?

Thanks,
George

Posted on the users mailing list.