[racket] SOURCES FOR BUILDING BASIC WEB APPLICATIONS

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Mon Dec 8 18:58:45 EST 2014

Did you see this tutorial? http://docs.racket-lang.org/continue/index.html

I have used that same package (Jay's `web-server`) in the past, to
rapidly implement a research data tool (a Web-based tool for tagging
objects in a large corpus, and doing queries on the tags). `web-server`
is good to work with, and you can develop some Web applications very
rapidly with it, once you wrap your brain around the continuations.

If you just want simple stateless HTTP request-response, without any of
the continuation-based state like you see in most discussions of
`web-server`, you can also do that with `web-server` (see the
documentation).

The other way I've developed Web servers in Racket is using SCGI (with
`http://www.neilvandyke.org/racket-scgi/`).  It's used in some currently
closed-source systems, and provides a very simple and bare-bones
CGI-style interface.  You might find `web-server`'s higher-level stuff
more productive, but SCGI is there if you need it.

Neil V.

Andrew Ulrich wrote on 12/08/2014 06:11 PM:
> Check out the following source code:
> https://github.com/jarcane/try-racket
> <https://github.com/jarcane/try-racket>
> If I remember correctly, it's got a racket webserver running an
> application to run commands against a racket sandbox. So at least
> you'll see how to set up your webserver and run logic on the back end.
>
> Andrew Ulrich
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Animesh Pandey
> <animeshpandey.etno at gmail.com <mailto:animeshpandey.etno at gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>     I wanted to know if there are any sources where I can find some
>     sources for building web applications in Racket? I want to write
>     an application for a basic HTTP request-response.
>     I looked at the documentation but I can't really understand whats
>     going on.
>     Any help would be appreciated.
>
>     Thanks and regards,
>     Animesh Pandey