[racket] FYI: scheme looks good in this paper examining first-year data

From: John Clements (clements at brinckerhoff.org)
Date: Wed Aug 27 11:37:09 EDT 2014

I can’t tell whether this paper was published *anywhere*, but Google told me about it because it cites me. It tries to mine data from ratemyprofessor to draw conclusions about what makes for a good first computing class. You can take all of this with many grains of salt, but the language most strongly correlated with clarity in a first-year class is Scheme. The major caveat is the number of samples, which is small for all languages but especially small (32) for Scheme, suggesting that it may be the good work of a few professors. On the other hand, it may well be the influence of HtDP.

Anyhow—a small piece of good news to brighten y’all’s day.

John

http://aspiringminds.com/pages/assess/2014/camera_ready/paper/moretti_etal.pdf

Posted on the users mailing list.