[racket] converting GRacket editor file to HTML or PDF?

From: Eli Barzilay (eli at barzilay.org)
Date: Tue Sep 17 14:36:46 EDT 2013

10 minutes ago, Norman Ramsey wrote:
> I've just received a stack of forty homework submissions which
> I'd like to page through quickly *en masse*.  But they are in
> GRacket editor format, which means that using my usual pager
> is not profitable.    Is there a way to take a file in this
> format and turn it into relatively readable PDF, or even HTML?
> I am willing to write code to do this, and I'm willing to skip
> the images.  But I don't know where to begin.

I have code that used to do it at

    http://barzilay.org/misc/wxme-to-text

Last time I used it was a while ago, so it might need some refreshing,
but it looks like it works fine with a few things that I tried.  It
does lose information like images and nice drracket fractions, but
it's fine if you just want a quick overview of the code.

For future homeworks, you can make the handin server create such
textual versions of submissions, so you don't need this separate
process.  It's based on similar code, so suffers from the same issues
-- so if you want plain text files that you can also run, you can set
it to reject submissions that have things that cannot be converted to
plain text.  (But for an htdp course you probably don't want that.)