[racket] How much RAM does a Racket personal blog need?

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Tue Sep 10 22:52:34 EDT 2013

Ben Duan wrote at 09/10/2013 10:33 PM:

> I'm buying a VPS to build my personal blog and learn Racket through
> the process. But I don't know how much RAM do I need. Do you have any
> suggestions? And any other suggestions on how to choose a VPS for Racket?

You can determine this empirically.

Before you do, consider how you want to architect and deploy your app.
Personally, I often like to start by making as much as possible static
files that could be served by Apache or nginx (or a CDN), and then
having deployed Racket run only for the parts that need to be dynamic
(using my bare-bones "scgi" PLaneT package, or the Racket Web Server if
I need continuations).  I also like to have Racket generate the static
HTML files (using my "html-writing" and "html-template" PLaneT
packages), as well as to prepare a staging directory to "rsync" to the
server for deployment.

Also, a big advantage of the cloud is that you can scale up easily.  For
example, you could start with an Amazon EC2 free instance with Debian
GNU/Linux, deploy your app to it, run JMeter against it with the peak
load you want to support, and see whether you need a bigger instance.
If you don't have anything non-stock on the instance other than what you
"rsync" from a staging tree, upgrading instances is even easier.

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.