[racket] Confused between strings and symbols

From: Bo Gus (forumangus at gmail.com)
Date: Sun Oct 27 16:23:30 EDT 2013

If I evaluate this:

(list 'this '(is silly))

I get this:

'(this (is silly))

I just want to check I understand what is happening here.

list always returns a proper list hence I see no dotted notation here.

The return value is quoted which means it is a symbol?  But there are
spaces so can it be a symbol?  And in addition, list returns a proper list
so it is a list?  A symbolic list?

Or does the quote in returned just mean it is string data in the list?

The nested parentheses around is silly is indicating that this is a inner
list - a list within a list?  What is in the inner list?  Two strings?  One
string made up of the characters i, s, space, s, i, l, l, y ?

I suppose the thing that confuses me the most is the idea of a symbol.
 There are no quotes around the textual information in the returned data so
do I assume the text is not string data?  If so are they symbols?

Please help clarify.