[racket] RacketCon 2013 videos

From: Konrad Hinsen (konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net)
Date: Sat Oct 12 09:28:05 EDT 2013

Neil Toronto writes:

 > In case Asumu doesn't ask us for them, mine are here:
 >
 > https://github.com/ntoronto/writing/raw/master/2013rcon-floating-point/toronto-2013rcon-floating-point.pdf

Thanks!

A nice tutorial, and behind it a nice set of libraries, not only for
computing with floating-point numbers but also for understanding
what's going on there.  I wish other languages had an equivalent.

Something I haven't been able to figure out, from your tutorial and
from reading the Racket documentation, is how Racket positions itself
on the IEEE 754 compliance vs. optimization scale. Most languages
don't promise much IEEE compliance and thus leave compilers much
freedom to do optimizations even when they change the result. As a
result, floating-point maths is a major source of non-reproducible
computations because different compilers effectively make different
programs out of identical source code.

So how about Racket? Can a programmer rely on a given program producing
the exact same result on all platforms, and with any Racket version?

Konrad.

Posted on the users mailing list.