[racket] Esc/Alt key bindings and RSI (Was: hello..)

From: Neil Van Dyke (neil at neilvandyke.org)
Date: Fri Nov 29 20:55:43 EST 2013

Tip regarding Esc/Alt, on a repetitive strain injury note... When you do
multi-key combinations frequently, I understand it's better for your
hands if you don't use a single hand to press more than one key
simultaneously.

So, for the Esc/Alt combinations, like in Emacs, it's generally best to
do one of:
* Use two hands.  You probably have two Alt keys.
* Use Esc, so you're not stretching a hand.
* Make a different key binding.
* Use macros or smarter automation to reduce repetitive typing.
* If all else fails, and you're feeling strain, slow down.  Think more,
type less.

CS students and young programmers will sometimes ruin their
hands/arms/etc. from bad typing/ergonomics, and cause permanent damage.
Exactly what works best seems to vary from person to person.  There is
lots of standard advice (e.g., height and orientation of keyboard and
monitor, posture, wrist bending, etc.); Google it.  (I'm fortunate that
people on Usenet were promoting some of this advice when I was still a
teenager; I changed my ergonomics and typing, and have been able to type
without problem ever since.  I only wish that RMS and some of my friends
and colleagues from back then had gotten the advice in time.)

Neil V.

Posted on the users mailing list.