[racket] Internet of Things/ Marketplace

From: Tony Garnock-Jones (tonyg at ccs.neu.edu)
Date: Mon Nov 18 09:13:02 EST 2013

Hi Jukka,

On 2013-11-16 1:48 AM, Jukka Tuominen wrote:
> I was happy to hear about the package Marketplace [...], and I wonder
> if it could be used as a starting point?

Marketplace is still in flux. It could be useful as a way of forcing
yourself to really *commit* to the idea of pub/sub-all-the-way-down ;-)
but it might not be the best choice to build a production system on top
just yet.

Marketplace was inspired by, and can be seen as a generalization of,
ordinary pub/sub and queueing middleware like STOMP servers and RabbitMQ.

> Another option is to choose some generic open-source pub-sub server,
> and make the user and device ends speak racket.

I suggest looking into the STOMP protocol support for RabbitMQ. I wrote
a Racket STOMP client [1, 2] a while back that might do what you need.
One of the things I've been meaning to do is write a simple *server* in
Racket to go along with it, but for now using RabbitMQ or similar is
probably a good bet.

(Regarding Arduino: RabbitMQ also has experimental UDP support [3] which
might be of interest in this connection.)

Regards,
  Tony

[1] http://planet.racket-lang.org/display.ss?package=stomp.plt&owner=tonyg
[2] https://github.com/tonyg/racket-stomp