[racket] Best way to propose changes to Scribble CSS files

From: Neil Toronto (neil.toronto at gmail.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 10:25:50 EST 2013

On 11/13/2013 11:33 PM, David T. Pierson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 06:55:10PM -0800, Matthew Butterick wrote:
>> I've made a number of updates to the Scribble CSS, and posted more sample
>> docs, if you care to revisit:
>>
>> http://mbutterick.github.io/racket-doc-redo/doc/
>
> I notice an improvement in the styles used with definitions and most
> content on pages like
>
> http://mbutterick.github.io/racket-doc-redo/doc/reference/pairs.html
>
> But some of the link styles are still too grey/light for me (like the
> link for "Mutable Pairs and Lists" at the top of the above page) and the
> links in the table of contents pages like
>
> http://mbutterick.github.io/racket-doc-redo/doc/guide/index.html
>
> are too light for my eyes.
>
> When I'm reading a web page for information I like the links to stand
> out.  I suppose it helps me scan/navigate more efficiently.  I feel like
> the grey links have the opposite effect.  It is as if they are hidden.

There are studies that show hyperlinks may reduce reading comprehension
by increasing cognitive overhead, and that how much is partly determined
by how they are presented:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_comprehension#Reading_comprehension_and_hyperlinks

Overhead also seems depends on the background of the reader. Readers
with more domain knowledge appear to be less affected by hyperlink
presentation.

What Matthew has come up with might be a decent compromise.

Neil ⊥

Posted on the users mailing list.