[racket] Common Lisp or Racket?

From: Hendrik Boom (hendrik at topoi.pooq.com)
Date: Wed Nov 13 16:59:33 EST 2013

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 10:25:04PM +0100, Tomasz Rola wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> > Scheme is a lot better than many languages for writing a compiler,
> > actually.  I'd certainly prefer it to C or C++.  Recently I've noticed
> > compilers being written in OCaml, which seems well-suited to it.

In particular, there's Algol W, C-- (a code-generating back end),
and, I suppose, Ocaml itself, all written substantially in Ocaml.

> Well, it may be better, if you mean Racket - to be sure I would have to
> use it for some bigger project (bigger than quick hack). Old style, R5RS
> Scheme, without certain stuff I would like to have, like hash tables, is
> not too much better IMHO (sure, I can write this stuff or find it on the
> net/SRFIs/slib etc but I would rather have most of it built in from the
> beginning). I have just looked around, and actually C is used quite often.

If you're going to make a list, you might as well put
gambit/c on it.  It's a Scheme compiler written in itself and
generating C code.  Very portable.

-- hendrik

Posted on the users mailing list.