[racket] Common Lisp or Racket?

From: Alexander McLin (alex.mclin at gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 12 12:47:14 EST 2013

Racket is truely a great and cleaner Lisp. It's carved out its own path
that I find quite attractive and am enjoying my forays into Racket.

I would recommend you just get started with The Little Schemer to get a
taste, move on to How To Design Programs. There is a Coursera course that
uses HTDP, although I haven't taken it myself, is probably easier to stick
with than going through HTDP on your own. Realm of Racket is a nice book
but best read after you've already had some experience with a Lisp dialect.

Find or plan a project using Racket as your main coding language to help
you use and grow with it. For example I'm using Racket to develop programs
for the Coursera Bioinformatics Algorithm course.

However, I want to tell you that Common Lisp resources has plenty of
valuable information to learn even if you don't end up using CL regularly.
I'm not really a CL user but I still read a lot of CL books for interesting
Lisp history and techniques.

Racket is also especially nice that it has a strong academic and
theoretical community with high quality written papers which are good
source of material to understand more about language design and usage.